Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lets see how this goes...

Well, I've just started my blog and seeing as how I'm new at this it might take me a few tries before I get the hang of it.
   At the end of January my husband and & I decided it was time to add another member to our family.No we were not thinking of having another baby as we already have 2 kids and a dog I have enough to keep me busy. We decided to sponsor a child. This decision involved alot of research into different organizations until we finally settled on Compassion. The reason we picked Compassion was because it takes care of all the other needs of the child but the most important one is that they focus on the teaching of Christ.They work within the local christian church and all the children that are in the Compassion program go to sunday school and are taught about Jesus. This was the most important thing to us.
      So, now that we have the organization how do you choose which child? They all need help. I'm a terrible decision maker as anyone who knows me can testify to so I told my husband to choose the child. He did it within seconds!! He walked over to the computer where the children were and boom! he picks he first one! How perfect. Inside my head there were a thousand thoughts going wild. Why this one? Someone else has been waiting longer. Should we pick an older child? They don't get picked very often... and on and on it went. So we talked about it and agreed that we had made the best choice for us at this time in our lives. Who knows maybe if we are able to sponsor another child we will pick an older one?
  Now I know some of you are wondering how is sponsoring a child adding to your family? Well, I look at it this way. Because I'm providing for all the needs financially and I'm building a relationship through letters, it feels as though I have another child.As a sponsor we provide for their needs- immunizations, food, clothing, school. But the most important is their learning about Christ. To build a strong relationship with our child I try to write often. I love to write and talk about things that are very different to them. Our holidays, how we celebrate, Snow was a fun one to write about, and just regular every day things. It doesn't need to be a big, professional letter. After all I'm just a mom writing to a child. I make sure to say in every letter how much I love them, and that I'm praying for them. I also try to send some goodies along with the letter such as: bandaids, thin coloring books, valentine cards, stickers, anything that's thin paper stuff as long as it's allowed within Compassion guidelines. I'll go into more details on what kind of stuff I send in a different post.

As far as introducing you to our newest member as soon as I have the picture I'll introduce you. Don't worry I don't think you should have to wait very long.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you!