Thursday, June 2, 2011

To Change a Life…

   I’m sure most of you who read my blog often know how I feel about Compassion international. So this week while the group is out in the Philippines, I have been following their blogs. I really enjoy reading them and learning about how people live out there. I love reading about how Compassion is working there and what they are doing to change lives. I love reading about the hope that sponsored children have. They are taught about Christ and the hope that he provides so graciously to us all. I love reading about how there is no self-pity out there. I just love reading about the experiences and the stories that they share. I’m so happy that we sponsor through Compassion and I’m encouraged to do more.

But then I read the sad stories. Not the ones about their living conditions (though they are sad), but the stories about the ‘sponsored’ children who have not received a letter from their sponsor, either in a long time or in some cases Never.                                                                                        http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2011/06/the-power-of-a-letter.html      To sponsor a child isn’t just about sending $41.00 (can.) a month to help them out, It’s about showing them that you care and that they are loved. It’s about building a relationship with them and being another (in some cases the only) family for them. Sponsorship is so much more then I could ever imagine. I love building a relationship with ‘my boys’ and showing them how much they mean to me. I want them to do well in school so that they can overcome the poverty that has claimed their childhood. I want them to excel in life, so that they can be better husbands and fathers. One of the best ways for my to encourage them to be better, is to write. They need to hear from me that they are loved, that we care about their lives, they need to be encouraged, they need to know that their school marks are important to us. I want them to strive for above average marks, so that they have the options to become something more. I love those boys so much and I barely know them. But just knowing that Christ brought them into my life for a reason is enough for me.

So for those of you who have not written in a while, I DARE you to write to your child today. How about right now??  Then after you’ve written, let me know so I can share in your joy.

For those of you who have not yet sponsored. Check out the website: www.compassion.ca  or click on the compassion bloggers link on my blog and read the stories of what happens when you sponsor a child. Read about how their lives change. If you decide to sponsor a child, please share it with me, I would love to celebrate with you!!

I hope that you all have a wonderful day!!

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you!