Thursday, July 21, 2011

What Can I Write About?

   On Tuesday a friend of mine came over for coffee. Somehow we got to talking about my sponsor boys (she probably saw the pictures on my fridge) and what kinds of things I send them and also what I write about. She is so confused because everyone she has talked to has told her what not to write about and what not to send. So, we got to talking and I shared with her what she can and should write about.

Some of the things that I shared with her are:

- Send a picture of her son in his football uniform and talk about our version of football and why he likes to play.

- Tell about something silly that her twin girls did that day and send a picture.

- Send lots of pictures, especially family ones.

- I told her to keep it simple, that he just wants to know more about them and their family.

I told her she can send all kinds of thin paper items (you will find more ideas on my page “letters to my boys”) to her sponsor child and anything that’s not in Compassion guidelines, they donate to the local charity. I also reminded her that if you only write after you have received a letter, you both will wait a long time. It takes roughly 3 months for a letter to go one way, so by the time he has received it and written back, it could be 6 months!

So for those of you who haven’t written in a while, it’s time. Time for you to write a short note with pictures attached, or a long letter about how your summer has been so far. It doesn’t matter how much you write. What does matter is that you do write. I think that we often overlook how very important our words of encouragement are to our sponsor children. Those words from us remind them that they are thought of, prayed for, cared about, and loved. Those are the most important words that everyone needs to hear.

*Andrea*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you!