Monday, March 21, 2011

How Do We Serve?

What a nice weekend it was. Me and Arielle had a great time shopping on Saturday and just spending time together. Sunday was also really good. We went to church in the morning and just relaxed the rest of the day.
      Our pastor had a message that really hit home for me. It was on serving others. He preached out of John 13 : 1-20. That's the text where Jesus washes the disciples feet. In the last hours before he was to be crucified he served his disciples instead of asking them to serve him. How many of us could actually do that? I know I for one couldn't do it. I often think that others should serve me. "I'm tired, I have a headache, I've worked all day." Those are the kinds of thoughts that enter my mind when I am asked to do something I really don't feel like doing.  But that's not the way it should be. We as Christian's, should be looking for ways to serve others no matter what. God doesn't stop serving us just because he is tired or has a headache (which doesn't happen to him anyway). Jesus showed us in the way he washed his disciples feet only hours before his death how we should serve others. He had full right to want them to focus on him and his needs, after all he had a lot that would be happening to him in a short while! Instead he took the time to wash their feet (a job that only servants did) and serve them in love.
     That really made me stop and think. Do I serve others that way? Do I want to serve that way? Could I actually serve those who hate me? The only way we can do it, is if we allow God to serve us first. We have to accept that he sent Jesus to die in order for us to be saved. In that way (and many others) he has served us. So I want to challenge and encourage everyone to allow God to serve them and then to serve others in his name. The key to serving others is to not make it obvious. God will see and that's all that counts.


Have a blessed day!

* Andrea *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you!