Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday Already?

   Is it Monday already? Wow the weekend went by fast. I was sick with a head cold all weekend (and still am) so we didn't do much. I did, however, get my package sent out to my sponsor boys. I'm trying to send something every 2 weeks. I didn't write a very long letter this time, but I want to remind them that they are special. 
   People living in poverty often believe the lies that "your not worth it" or "nobody loves you", so us as sponsors need to keep writing so they believe that they are worth something. It's often through those letters from us that their self confidence is built up and they know that they are special. I'm not saying that you should write as often as I. I have a bit more time with being a stay at home mom than a lot of people. But I really believe that you should try to send something once a month or once every two months. It can just be a short note with a bible verse and you telling them you love them and are praying for them. It really doesn't matter what you send as long as you try to send a little something. They just need the connection from you.
     I often go overboard when I send stuff. I just get so excited when it's time to send another letter. I want to send them everything! I usually send all kinds of extras from bandaids to stickers to thin scribblers (the staple bound kind), whatever I have that I think they might like. I'm also starting to send little extras for their siblings ( I also have sent bible verses to their mothers) too. In families where there are 3 or less children, usually only 1 gets sponsored. So I want the rest of the family to know that they are special to me and that I pray for them as well. I actually have a box in my kitchen that I keep all kinds of 'extras' to send to my sponsor boys. That way, whenever I am getting stuff together to send, I don't have to rush out to the store to buy extra things. When my 'supplies' get low, I make a trip to the store and pick up more stuff. I find it's a lot easier for me to send things often that way.
   I'm not saying that you need to send all kinds of things. You don't need to send anything other than your letter.  All you really need to send is your Love.

If you sponsor a child, I hope this makes yo want to write more often. Like I said, it doesn't need to be a big, long letter. They just need the reassurance from you that they are worth it and that you care for them.

Have a great day!

* Andrea *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you!