Sunday, March 6, 2011

Our two new boys!

     What a great weekend it's been so far! On Friday evening I went to check my mail and was very excited at what I received! I received the child packets from my two correspondent sponsor boys! Oh how great! Now I can put two lovely new faces on my fridge to remind me about the world that we live in.
 Let me introduce you...


        Nsengimana
  He's from Rwanda, and he's 18 years old.


He only lives with his mother because his father is in prison. Oh my heart breaks when I read that. Where he lives, most adults don't work but those that do earn the average of $27.00 A MONTH! I can't get over that, that's nothing in our society. The real blessing is that his sponsorship covers Bible teaching, medical exams, nutritious food, hygiene instruction, recreational activities, opportunities for community service, school fees, scholastic materials, tutoring and domestic supplies. Also, his mother receives Bible teaching as well. 


Niyomugabo
He's also from Rwanda, and he's also 18 years old.


Niyomugabo also only lives with his mother, there are 4 children in his family and his mother is sometimes employed as a farmer. Where he lives most adults work as farmers but only earn the equivalent of $10.00 A MONTH! That is astonishing! I can't even think of what we can buy with $10 out here. Maybe, a couple of groceries? His sponsorship provides him with Bible teaching, medical care, nutritious meals, hygiene supplies, recreational activities, tuition and scholastic materials. Also, Bible teaching for his mother.  


These boys, through the little bit that I know about them have started to change the way I see things. I am now, for the first time in my life, really starting to imagine what life is like in these countries. I often wonder what their mothers must be going through. While I'm sitting in my bathtub enjoying a nice hot bath, they are working so hard just trying to get enough money to feed their children maybe 1 meal a day? Some days when I spend a lot of time thinking about this I feel the tears start. But then I stop myself and think, Why did God allow me to have an abundant life? Why am I not living in poverty? What can I do to help? I really believe that those of us that are not living in those conditions can and should help any way that we can. Some people can't commit to sponsoring a child, I understand that. But even if you have an extra $10 bucks and you want to donate it, why not compassion? At least then you know where your money is going.
 Also, if you can't afford to sponsor a child, you can still change a life by becoming a correspondent sponsor. All that Compassion asks is that you write 3 times a year and send a birthday card for their birthday and Christmas. To make writing even easier, Compassion has it set up that you can send them a letter online. You don't even need a pen and paper! You write the letter, it gets sent to Compassion Canada office, they translate it, print it out and it goes to your child from there.
So, if anyone is thinking about donating to Compassion, sponsoring a child, or becoming a correspondent sponsor just go to http://www.compassion.ca/ and you can do it all there.

I am just so passionate about what Compassion does. I see how they spend the money that we give for sponsoring and how they do it all in the name of Christ and I'm so thankful that I can be a part of it even if it's a small part. 

I encourage each and every one of you to do what you can, small or large to spread the love of Jesus.


Have a blessed weekend!


* Andrea *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you!