Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Small Things Count

 So, last night I went for coffee with a wonderful woman that I met through my church. We had a great time! She borrowed me a book called "Diapers, Pacifiers, And Other Holy Things" by Lorraine Pintus. I have only read a small portion of it but it is a really good book for women, especially mothers who feel: too busy for God but want a relationship with him, taken for granted, invaluable, or who just need a bit more inspiration.
  Today I was reading about how the small things that you do for people really do count. You know, bringing someone supper when their sick, a wave to a stranger, a smile to the cashier who is having a rough day, all these things that are so easy (and painless) to do. She says that " God entrusts you with little things to teach you faithfulness in big things. Also, God wants you to see that each little thing you do can have eternal impact". Really? How? Show me. Then she goes on to say that each little thing that we do for others as long as we have the right motive, we are doing it for God. Matthew 25:40 says "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me". So when we do something that seems small and insignificant to us, as long as we have the right heart about it, we are doing it for Jesus. Wiping noses, patching clothes, sweeping floors, laundry, all that little everyday stuff that we do constantly and get nowhere with, it all counts! Huh, who would have thought? I mean, I do it (or try to) everyday but I never think of it that way. So really, when we work no matter what we do, it's an act of worship. That's a much nicer way to look at things, to do it for Jesus. Colossians 3:23-24 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ that you are serving".
So, before doing anything, ask yourself why your doing it and for whom? Then you will know if your doing it for God or for man. If we want to serve Christ fully, Motive is Everything. 

Who do you do it for?


* Andrea *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you!